Preparing You for Success in the Online MSW
Before beginning your application, we recommend reviewing the Master of Social Work (MSW) program requirements outlined below. Ensuring you have all required documents and letters will help expedite the application process. If you have any questions regarding the admissions process or application requirements, please contact an Admissions Advisor.
- Completed application
- A GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Applicants with a GPA less than 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) will be reviewed on an individual basis and considered for provisional admission; an interview and additional writing sample may be required.
- Two personal statements:
- Discuss how a personal life experience influenced your choice of social work as a profession
- Describe in detail a relevant social problem: How have you addressed this problem so far and how you will address this problem as a social worker?
- Two letters of recommendation from professional or academic references
- Official transcript(s) of all previous colleges attended
- $50 non-refundable application fee submitted by credit card
For students applying for Advanced Standing, the following additional requirements must be met:
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) and a bachelor of social work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program
- Final fieldwork evaluation from the BSW program
- An additional letter of recommendation from the director of the BSW program or the faculty advisor addressing student's readiness for advanced standing
Steps to Apply
||Length of Time
|Create Element account
|Complete application through Step 3
|Upload unofficial transcripts
|Request official transcripts
|Enter recommenders in Element
|Pay application fee
|Complete and submit application
|Submit letter of intent (if applicable)
|Pay enrollment deposit
Students transferring from an accredited MSW program can receive a maximum of 12 credits and only those with a B-average or above will be considered. Each student transcript is reviewed on an individual basis and credits will be awarded accordingly. In addition to the above application requirements, transfer students must submit their final fieldwork evaluation.
International applicants must meet the following additional requirements:
- All transcripts and letters of recommendation must be translated and evaluated by an accredited provider
- TOEFL: Non-native English speakers at the 11th-grade level or above should take the TOEFL test to provide evidence of their English proficiency before beginning academic work. Students must earn, at minimum, 90-91 on the internet-based test, 233 on the computer-based test, or 577 on the paper test.
Summer 2019 Term
Summer 2019 Term
Priority Application Deadline
Fall 2019 Term
Go Further with 24/7 Student Support
The online MSW program is meant to be a challenge for those who are called to serve, but your success is still our goal. When the moment arrives to ask for help, you'll find full support from faculty advisors, Student Success Coordinators and more.
Know Your Resources